Drop Date FAQ

The Spring 2020 deadline to self-withdraw, change to credit only in MyPack, or change to audit without a Schedule Revision Form (and without an extenuating circumstance) is 11:59 pm on Monday, March 2.

Information on Full Term Withdrawal: https://studentservices.ncsu.edu/your-classes/withdrawal/process/

Q: If I drop a course between Census Date (the 10th day of classes) and the Drop Deadline, what will appear on my transcript?

  • After Census Date through the end of the term, dropping a course will result in a “W” (for “withdrawn”) listed in place of a grade on your transcript.

Q: I have an extenuating circumstance that is making it necessary for me to drop a course. What should I do?  

  • Do not use MyPack to drop the course. Talk with your advisor so your withdrawal will be coded accordingly, and use a Schedule Revision Form to drop the course. You must have documentation of your situation.

Q: Do I have to meet with my instructor before I drop a course in MyPack?

  • We strongly recommend that you do so. Your instructor will help you determine your chances for success in the course with your current grades.

Q: Must I meet with my advisor before I drop a course in MyPack?

  • We strongly recommend doing so, so that you can discuss implications of any decision on your transcript and your Academic Progress.

Q: Is there a limit to the number of courses I can drop?

  • You can drop up to 16 credits through MyPack during your undergraduate career at NC State . These credits will count as attempted hours for course repeat, satisfactory academic progress, and tuition surcharge calculations. Dropping a course due to extenuating circumstances (submitted via an approved Schedule Revision Form) will NOT count toward the 16 hour limit or tuition surcharge.

Q: What if dropping a course will put me below 12 credit hours (i.e. full time)?

  • You must use a Schedule Revision Form anytime after Census Date (10th day of classes). This must be completed by the drop deadline if you don’t have an extenuating circumstance. Forms must be complete and in the College office by 5 PM on March 2.
Changing A course to Credit Only

Q: What does it mean to take a course for credit only?

  • If you are enrolled for credit only, you must earn a C‐or better in the coursework to get credit (“S”). Degree requirements (with the exception of up to 12 free elective hours, PE courses, and courses only offered for credit, such as BSC 492) must be taken for a grade.

Q: If I change a course to credit only and earn an “S,” will I have to retake the course?

  • Yes, if it is a required course. Discuss with your advisor.

Q: What are the advantages of taking a course for credit only?

  • Your grade will not affect your NC State GPA.

Q: Are there any drawbacks or other considerations for taking a course for credit only?

  • Many graduate/professional schools may look negatively upon an unsatisfactory grade (“U”), and may recalculate your GPA in pre-requisite courses accordingly. Changing to credit only can affect your compliance with Satisfactory Academic Progress. Discuss with your advisor.
Auditing a course

Auditing a course is most useful if you want to refresh your knowledge about a course that you have taken in the past and already have credit for, or you want to learn more about a topic for your own benefit. Read the specifics about auditing here. If you are not doing well in a course and are considering changing to audit solely to protect your GPA, talk with your advisor and instructor about whether this is a good idea. Consider what you hope to gain from doing so, and if removing the requirements of studying and doing homework will help you in that goal. Remember that it is generally better to have a course on your transcript only once. Audit requests require this form with advisor and departmental approval.