Thanks to Dr. Jenny Campbell for providing this list!
Interested in working with animals for credit? See below for local and regional organizations that offer internships that can include working hands-on with captive exotic animals and rehabbed, non-releasable wildlife! If you are pre-vet this is a great way to obtain required animal hours. If you wish to work in a zoo or aquarium setting in the future, these internships are a great first step! Talk with your advisor about obtaining BIO 492 or ZO 492 credit for these experiences.
Piedmont Wildlife Center – http://adultprogramspwc.wordpress.com/internships/
- A local center whose mission is education and conservation; they offer conservation, education, and animal care internships in the fall, spring and summer and they also accept volunteers. Raptor handling training is available to those who can make a weekly commitment.
Noah’s Landing – http://www.noahslanding2x2.com/intern.html
- A locally owned, private zoo close to Raleigh; they offer volunteer and internship opportunities. Students typically assist with animal care and education programs.
Duke Lemur Center – http://lemur.duke.edu/volunteers/
- Located in Durham and affiliated with Duke University, the Lemur Center offers a technician assistant program along with other internship programs – they prefer to select students who have completed their TA program for placement in other opportunities, so start by applying to be a technician assistant.
Carolina Tiger Rescue – http://www.carolinatigerrescue.org/education/internships.asp
- Located in Pittsboro, Carolina Tiger Rescue is a non-profit sanctuary for a variety of species from the Order Carnivora. They offer internships and volunteer opportunities year round.
Conservator’s Center – http://www.conservatorscenter.org/internship.cfm
- Located in Mebane, CCI is a nonprofit organization that houses a variety of species from the Order Carnivora, including big and small cats, along with other species. They offer internships and volunteer opportunities year round.
- Located in Asheboro, NC Zoo’s Schindler Wildlife Rehab Center offers internships for students interested in working with rescued wildlife.
NC Museum of Natural Sciences – http://naturalsciences.org/volunteer/internships
- A great option if you do not have a car, the Raleigh Museum offers many volunteer and internship opportunities year round.
Sylvan Heights Bird Park – http://shwpark.com/park-volunteer-program.html
- Located in Scotland Neck (90 miles from Raleigh), Sylvan Heights Bird Park offers volunteer and internship opportunities.
Bald Head Island Conservancy – http://www.bhic.org/summer-intern-opportunities
- BHIC offers a summer internship that provides housing and a small meal stipend. The application process is competitive and applications are due February 1 for the following summer.